ABOUT THE PROJECT:
Here are the facts, according to the Report of the Reentry Policy Council: Charting the Safe and Successful Return of Prisoners to the Community:
• Two million Americans are serving time in prison
• 50% of the inmates are in for violent crimes
• About 67% of the inmates released from prison are re-arrested within three years of their release
• This recidivism rate has not improved over the past 30 years
• Prisoners return to society more hardened and more willing to commit crimes than before
What the David Lynch Foundation is doing
The meditation-based rehabilitation program offered by the David Lynch Foundation has been utilized in dozens of prisons throughout the US and worldwide during the past 30 years. Research on meditating inmates at San Quentin and Folsom prisons in California and Walpole Prison in Massachusetts has found TM practice markedly reduces rule infractions and dramatically reduces recidivism rates by as much as 50 percent.
This five-minute documentary shows how the effects of Transcendental Meditation are transforming the lives of inmates, correctional officers, and staff of a medium-security prison in Oregon.